With moderation, you can spend your holidays in a healthy way! Here are some tips for you and your family to enjoy eating healthy during the holidays:
- Choose wisely the ingredients of the meals prepared at home. For example, bake or steam vegetables instead of frying and substitute whole milk or heavy cream with low fat milk.
- Select reasonable-sized portions of your favorite foods on the table.
- Choose the lighter pieces of meat; the breast instead of the thigh in chicken and turkey; they have fewer calories and less fat than the darker ones. Take off the skin for healthier choices.
- Watch out for the sauces and the gravy. Spooning on just a small amount of gravy will help you reduce fat, calories and sodium.
- Spoil yourself with the most special holiday treats. The best way to enjoy an occasional sweet without overeating is by sampling your favorite one or two desserts, instead of having full servings. For example, have a small portion of Bûche or half a cookie.
- Watch seasonal drinks because they have so much added sugar. Drink a glass of water or sparkling water between each beverage. This will help fill your stomach.
- Remember to stay physically active during the holiday season to burn the extra calories you may end up eating.
Wishing you all a very healthy Holiday Season, Merry Christmas and Cheers to a Happy New Year.